In the past few weeks we have witnessed horrible acts of gun violence including against Black grocery store shoppers in Buffalo, NY; 4th graders and teachers in Uvalde, TX; Taiwanese worshipers in Laguna Woods, CA; and families at both an outdoor festival and a hospital in Tulsa, OK. In the midst of grief, rage, fear, and frustration, people are organizing all across the country to call for a USA where people feel safe going about daily life and where, like in many other countries, mass shootings are history. Read on for a round-up of upcoming actions.
Many are also drawing connections between safety from gun violence and full access to reproductive health care, asking why those in power are limiting people’s freedom to make decisions about their own bodies more harshly than they are regulating deadly weapons. Just a few weeks ago, thousands of Oregonians participated in dozens of actions across the state to demand reproductive justice in response to the leaked draft opinion from the US Supreme Court that, if finalized, will overturn Roe v. Wade. We were part of a larger day of action that took place across the country, and as folks prepare for actions on June 11th, we wanted to share powerful photos from some of the Bans Off Our Bodies events. Here is a sneak peek at the amazing images from May 14:
We received so many incredible photos, so we are posting many more to our Facebook and Instagram pages – check them out! Did you attend an event that we missed? Send us photos and let us know how it went by emailing email@example.com!
Now, people are demanding policy and action to stop the mass shootings that are happening with alarming frequency. One creative and highly publicized example was Jason Selvig from the group Good Liars taking the mic at the National Rifle Association (NRA) convention to sarcastically praise NRA Chief Executive Wayne LaPierre for all of his “thoughts and prayers.” Closer to home, organizers are collecting petition signatures for a gun safety ballot initiative, Initiative Petition 17 with Lift Every Voice Oregon. Many others have organized vigils, or are planning protests as part of the March for Our Lives day of action on June 11th.
Take Action for Safe and Welcoming Communities Today!
- Check out the list below to find a protest near you! Don’t see your event on the list or want support in putting an action together? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, we would love to connect!
- Sign Initiative Petition 17 with Lift Every Voice Oregon to put gun safety on the ballot this November.
- Call your representatives in DC to demand action against gun violence.
- Donate to support Uvalde families, and support Buffalo with a financial contribution to grassroots and community-based groups: Black Love Resists in the Rust, VOICE Buffalo, and African Heritage Food Cooperative. We’re on the lookout for ways to support folks in Tulsa, so if you know of anything please send it our way to email@example.com.
- Register for the Rural Caucus & Strategy Session on Saturday, June 25th in Redmond. Join community leaders, organizers, and activists from across the state to strategize about how we can grow the movement for human dignity, democracy, and justice at the annual Caucus. You can register online here. Please note that scholarships, gas and travel funds, childcare, interpretation, carpool coordination, community housing, and more are available, so please let us know how we can support you and your group coming to the Caucus. Read about our COVID-19 safety precautions and more at rop.org/caucus.
Find an Upcoming Gun Safety Action Near You:
Thoughts and Prayers Policy and Action March to Demand More: Saturday, June 11th, 1:00 PM at Peace Corner (the corner of NW Wall St and NW Newport Ave).
Hood River County:
Florence Indivisible March for Our Lives Rally: Saturday, June 11, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM PT at 1670 OR-126, Florence, OR 97439
March For Our Lives Calapooia, OR: Saturday, June 11, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM PT at the Linn County Court House, Albany, OR 97321
Just Outside of Oregon:
Southwest Washington: Saturday, June 11, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM PT at the Civic Circle, Longview, WA 98632
Don’t see your event on the list? Want support in planning an action in your community? Don’t hesitate to reach out! We would love to add your community to the map and support you in organizing something where you live. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know!