WHAT IS THE ACTIVITY? The Legislature in Oregon is meeting and has years’ worth of activity to get to. And they might. The prospects for having funding, vision, and a bit of harmony are high. ROP designs an inclusive platform for each Legislative session that captures the range of policies that human dignity requires of us to support and a similar range that we must oppose. The platform captures it all but our work plans then tease out specific issues and policies that are either of heightened importance or getting less attention from other allies. This year ROP is concerned with REAL ID at a federal and state level and will make it a priority to keep this from being enacted. Before we move into constant legislative action, though, we want to make sure that each human dignity group takes the time to review and endorse the platform. Unity matters. When we can show that 63 human dignity groups from every region of the state are tracking the same issues, it is possible that a little more of the progress we want to see might happen in Salem this Legislative session.
WHY THIS ACTIVITY? There is no better way for your group to ready your members and leadership for the Legislative Session than by reviewing what ROP leaders have researched and bring to your group as a lean and mean summary. So, we ask you to review the ROP Legislative Platform for 2007. Ideally, you will make notes on what you have questions about or want more information on, but you will also look beyond the details and assess the BIG VISION. Does the platform speak to a range of relevant concerns that you want to see tracked? If your group’s answer to this question is yes, please complete the endorsement section at the bottom and return by email or mail to the ROP office by February 15th, 2007.
STEPS TO COMPLETE THE ACTIVITY:
- Get this on your February agenda! Set aside time during your group’s regular meeting (or set a time to meet) or use your email list to get review and discussion of the ROP Legislative Platform for 2007.
- Review the ROP Legislative Platform for 2007. Note any questions or suggestions that you have, but consider the overall question: Does the platform speak to a range of relevant concerns that you want to see tracked?
- Complete the Endorsement Section at the bottom of the Platform and return by email or mail to the ROP office by February 15th, 2007.
- Stay tuned for Legislative Updates and Alerts from ROPNET.
* Check this box to indicate that your group endorses the ROP 2007 Legislative Platform and return to ROP.
___________________ for ________________________________________________
Signature/Date Local Group
SAVE THESE DATES:
February 17th -24th : Your Congressional District’s Town Hall on the Cost of War
* District 2 Co$t of War Town Hall for Walden: Redmond on February 17th, 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Redmond Senior Center, 325 NW Dogwood
* District 5 Co$t of War Town Hall for Hooley: Lincoln City on February 18th, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. at Lincoln City Community Center, 2150 NE Oar Pl.
* District 1 Co$t of War Town Hall for Wu: Forest Grove on February 19th , 6 p.m. – 8 p.m at Pacific University, Taylor Auditorium in Marsh Hall, 2043 University Way.
* District 4 Co$t of War Town Hall for DeFazio: Roseburg on February 24th, 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m at Ford Room at the Library 1409 Diamond Lake Blvd.
* District 3 Co$t of War Town Hall for Blumenauer: not yet scheduled
April 28th: ROP’s Annual Rural Caucus & Strategy Session