- Share the REAL ID action alert found at https://rop.org/Leg07.htm#REAL%20ID and below with your email lists. A hearing on REAL ID is scheduled for Wednesday, April 25th, so start calling!
- Print, sign, circulate, solicit, and collect copies of the NO on REAL ID postcards that you can download at https://rop.org/REALIDPostCards
- Send your postcards with your group’s delegation to the ROP Caucus on April 28th or mail them directly to your legislator throughout the month. Find your legislator at www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/
- Join May Day 2007 in Salem at the Capitol at 11am. ROP volunteers will be part of the peacekeeper team who will monitor and deescalate any anti-immigrant agitators. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping out.
- If you want to do more to advance your local group’s work on immigration and global economic justice, email email@example.com. ROP can work with you to organize a local living room conversation on immigration, plan a strategy session, or make sure that your community is part of ROP’s Immigration Fairness Network.
- Appreciate our past and future victories for worker solidarity and economic justice!
Call and fax committee members in the House Transportation Committee today! Hearings are scheduled for Wednesday, April 25th from 3-5pm. If you can make it to Salem to testify, please let me know!
Tell them to vote NO on HB 2270 which would implement REAL ID in Oregon. And vote YES on HB 2827 and HJM 11 which would block implementation of REAL ID in Oregon just as Washington and many other states have done.
It is particularly important to call if you live in one of these districts, but let’s let them all hear from all of rural Oregon! If you are not sure who your legislator is, you can find you legislators at http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/ or call the Capitol Switchboard at (800) 332-2313.
Terry Beyer*, Chair (HD 12/Springfield) 503-986-1412
George Gillman*, Vice Chair (HD 55/Crook and Lake Counties, Chiloquin and N. Klamath, and Eagle Point and NE Jackson County) 503-986-1455
Tom Butler (HD 60/Baker, Harney, and Malheur Counties) 503-986-1460
Peter Buckley (HD 5/Ashland and Jacksonville) 503-986-1405
Tobias Read (HD 27/Beaverton) (503) 752-6273
Carolyn Tomei, Vice Chair (HD 41/Milwaukie) 503-986-1441
* Co-Sponsors of HB 2827 and HJM 11
If you take action, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we know that your legislators have heard from you and what kind of response you received!
Key Talking Points for House Transportation Committee Members
* I oppose HB 2270 which would implement the REAL ID Act in Oregon.
* I support HB 2827 and HJM 11 which would block implementation of REAL ID in Oregon just as Washington, Idaho, and many other states have done.
* REAL ID is an unfunded federal mandate that will cost Oregonians millions of dollars and create a bureaucratic nightmare at Oregon DMV.
* REAL ID claims to make our country more secure, but will expose us to identity theft and invasion of privacy.
* I specifically oppose any legislation that would require proof of legal status to obtain an Oregon driver’s license.
* Showing a birth certificate in order to obtain a license would place substantial burdens on all Oregonians, especially immigrants, elderly, low-income, and homeless people and others who are unable to access these documents.
* Legal presence requirements would undermine public safety by resulting in more unlicensed, uninsured drivers on the road.
* Legal presence requirement would target immigrants in the name of “security” while actually making our roads, our communities, and the lives of undocumented immigrant workers less safe and more insecure.
Visit http://www.causaoregon.org/action-center or www.realnightmare.org for more information on REAL ID.